Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Tale of the "Sneaky Penis"

Okay, it sounds more risque than it really is, but I feel the need to share...

In our family we are very open about private parts. I grew up in a puritan Catholic manner, so the words penis and vagina were not uttered.  In fact, as a child, I was pretty certain that if I went farther than first base, I would be killed in a horrific car accident and end up with a front row seat in hell while pregnant.  It took me until I was in university to...well, whatever.

We decided that we would be very factual about boy and girl parts with our children, and we have called them by their medical terms since they were born.  Which is why I was shocked when my husband came out to the porch one morning this week while I was enjoying my coffee to tell me this story.

Apparently Daddy went upstairs in his undies to get the kids ready for school.  The girl child would have none of this, and she told him in no uncertain terms that he was to go and put on some pants.  He complied but was a bit befuddled.  Upon returning properly clad in full dress to get the four year old, she said to him, "Now your sneaky penis won't get me."  I asked her about it, but she clammed up like a kid getting into trouble, so I let it be.  I mean, did she hear about the sneaky penis at school?  At church?  From Dora?

In a way, I'm glad that she thinks penises are sneaky. She's not wrong in her assessment that men's appendages have caused many a heartache. The sooner she realizes that boys are sneaky and so are their penises, the better off she will be, and the better her father and I will sleep at night.  Lord knows I don't want to have "the talk" with her any time soon (double digits, but I'm not fooling myself), so this was refreshing.

On the other hand, I don't want her to be all worked up over a penis.  They have their place.  Without one in particular, she would not be here to talk about sneaky penises.  I don't want her to be afraid of men and their penises, but being wary of them and their sneakiness would not be a bad thing.

Would it? 

I'm chalking this one up to childhood and calling it a day. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment