Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Back in The Saddle Again

As a child I hated routine.  I was one of the kids who got really excited by a fire drill; I would change my “style” often and in a dramatic way; I would remind my mother that the monthly cycle of recipes was redundant.  I am so happy that school is back in session, I am back at work, and the kids are back at “school”. After five days of being literally snowed under, I was losing all sanity.  I am still trying to regain the patience that I lost while stuck in the house without a physical outlet that didn’t involve my children.  Sledding would have been great had I a chance to do it for five minutes by myself.  It got pretty bad.  I actually shoveled the driveway to get out some energy.

So here’s what I have solidified about myself:

I need employment outside of the home.  I have utmost respect for moms who stay at home with their children.  I find that I am a much better mother and person when I have something outside of my babies on which to focus.  I see these moms at the park during the summer who are all fresh faced and happy, chatting it up with the other moms, and I am a bit jealous.  I wish that I could be happy focusing all of my attention on my family and home.  Maybe I am selfish. 

The second thing that I have solidified in my self-knowledge is that I absolutely need a schedule, or nothing will get done.  I am not so sure that I showered more than three times in the ten days of Snowmageddon, and I sure as heck didn’t clean the house. Dinners weren’t extra special gourmet affairs, even though they could have been; we had plenty of ingredients. I got no exercise except for the driveway. 

When I am working, I am at the gym three times a week before Little T even wakes up.  On the days that I am not at the gym, I am hanging out with my yoga friend, Rodney Yee and his DVD.  Dinner is promptly served between 6:30 and 6:45, and the house is kept clean.  Papers are graded in a timely manner, and lesson plans are complete. 

So here’s my question:  How is it that I can be so productive when I am super busy, and such a slug when I have nothing to do?  Is this malady particular to me, or do any of you share in the disease?

2 comments:

  1. We moms are so hard on ourselves! I hear you say "I wish that I could be happy focusing all of my attention on my family and home. Maybe I am selfish." And I often ask myself if I'm lazy or lame because I so wanted to stay home. We always feel some guilt - no matter which way we lean!

    Bottom line: Every mom is her best self when she's happy and fulfilled - and that formula is different for every person.

    But to answer your question, I think I might be kind of the opposite. When I have WAY too many things on my plate, I get overwhelmed and something is left undone. As was the way when I was a teacher and a mom. I didn't give a rat's ass about my students, and I wasn't doing anyone any favors only focusing on my own family. :) I do thrive off some last minute energy with a to-do list for a party or an occasional busy day, but all in all, I like to focus on as few things as possible. I think I'm weird like that though.

    Okay now that I've written a novel, welcome to blogging. I'll have to head back and read some prior entries now. I love it as a journal and outlet, and I think you will too!

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I empathize with you. My week was nearly the same. I did force myself to do at least one meaningful task a day, such as a load of laundry, or vacuuming the floor. I also shoveled the driveway to get in some much needed exercise.

    I enjoy the first few weeks of summer vacation, having nothing to do and being able to do a variety of things, but after that it gets old. I find myself looking forward to schedules and routine.

    Everybody is different, and I do believe that most "stay at home moms" get out of the house with their children (see "happy moms at the park above"). There is a reason it is called "Cabin Fever." My child went to "school" on Friday, I went to the gym and got a mani/pedi :)

    Even one of the best SAHM's I know thrives on routine, and as her children reached pre-school age (3) they were out and about.

    Routine is about scheduling, and if you don't schedule events, they don't get done, no matter what your career :)

    ReplyDelete