Monday, January 17, 2011

Recipe Sunday...Okay, It's Monday, but, whatever.

Because everyone could use a quick, easy, inexpensive, and healthy recipe, I am going to open up the blog for Recipe Sunday. I'll start.
If you can, keep your recipes to the four guidelines above:  Quick, Easy, Healthy, Cheap.

Crock Pot Chicken au Vin (I got this from my friend Shannon)

Frozen chicken boneless breasts (or thawed)
1 Bag mini carrots
A head of garlic, peeled or 10+ garlic cloves that come in a jar
Half a bottle of white wine (chicken stock works, too)

Depending on how long you will be at work, put the chicken on warm or low. Since I am gone for a while, I use frozen chicken and cook on low (I also think that I have an overly hot crockpot)
Mash up the garlic that you can find.
Serve over wild rice.

Whatchya'll got?  I could use a boost in my week night portfolio.

5 comments:

  1. Salsa Chicken
    1 or so pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
    1 container fresh salsa (I think 16 oz, but could be wrong)
    1 15 oz can black beans
    1 cup frozen corn
    taco seasoning to taste (we use about 1/2 a target brand taco seasoning because it is gluten free)

    Can be used for nachos, burritos, tacos, what ever you want. Having it tonight for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to look at www.cookinglight.com They have some great recipes. Many of them are not complicated and/or do not take much time. I am also all in favor for already having the ingredients in my house. If I have to buy something for one dinner I probably won't make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I do one like it but no taco seasnong, and no corn. At the end I add a block of low fat cream cheese and shred the chicken. Also served over brown rice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kira...you have to post the grits casserole recipe that you made when I came over. I told my sister about it, and she still bugs me to ask you for it. Also, here are a couple of links of recipes I've tried lately...

    http://persnicketypeacock.blogspot.com/2010/02/slow-cooker-lasagna.html

    http://persnicketypeacock.blogspot.com/2010/06/rosemary-and-oregano-chicken.html

    http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2010/01/fiesta-of-flavor-chicken-tortilla-soup/

    http://abearinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2010/09/poppy-seed-chicken-freezer-meal.html

    http://smashedpeasandcarrots.blogspot.com/2010/03/french-dipcrockpot-style.html

    http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com/2010/01/mouth-watering-wednesday-crescent-roll.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alyssa, it does not abide my the quick or healthy guidelines, but since you asked for it, I will happily share.
    This recipe was a favorite for every brunch that we ever had growing up. Now that southern is cool, I use it with skewered bar-b-que shrimp and any other grilled thing that sounds good (pork tenderloin was what I served it with when we had you over; let's do that again soon!)
    Here you go:
    1 1/4 cups grits
    3 1/2 cups water
    8 oz velveeta
    1/2 cup melted butter
    1 cup milk (or half and half if you really want to clog an atery)
    2 eggs beaten
    Grated sharp cheddar
    Grease 2 qt casserole dish
    Cook grits according to directions
    Crumble cheese, eggs, butter milk and mix
    Sprinkle with cheddar
    Cook at 350 for 45 minutes.
    Yummy. Horrible for you, but yummy.

    ReplyDelete